When life gets overwhelming and stressful, your mental health can take a backseat to work, school, and taking care of a family. However, for any of those important things to happen you need to have a healthy outlook and attitude. Anyone who has struggled with depression, anxiety, or general overwhelm will tell you that simply making the bed is a difficult task. Take care of your mental health with self-care so that you don’t become overwhelmed by life’s stresses.
Self-care is everything and anything that makes you feel relaxed and happy. It can be done for 10 minutes or a whole week-long vacation. What matters is you feel the relief and relaxation of taking a break because you work hard and deserve it. Or even if you didn’t work hard, you still deserve to feel inner peace. Anything that brings you calmness and serenity can be considered self-care. Here are some ideas:
- Take a calming bubble bath to relax your muscles and mind
- Treat yourself to a mani-pedi on your day off as a reminder that you deserve to be pampered
- Allow yourself 15 minutes of silence in the car when you get home from work, before being attacked by your well-meaning kiddos
- Go for a run (even if you tell yourself you don’t have time to workout today), it will help your body produce endorphins which lighten your mood
- Buy yourself a lottery card, you are one in a million after all
- Pet an animal because physical touch for something that depends on us is rewarding
- Plan your next vacation, even if it’s just a day trip somewhere close to home
- Read a book about something that interests you personally, not related to school or your industry
- Declutter your space, because you are an important person who requires a productive and clean space to be powerful
Choosing a self-care practice that suits who you are and yourlifestyle is so important to your emotional and mental health. Sometimes, when we’re busy taking care of others at home or at work, we neglect to take care of ourselves. Take this blog post as a personal message to you: you deserve to be treated well. You have earned a break, even if you only give yourself 10 minutes. You are exceptional at what you do and doing what you do is only possible if you are healthy.